The Flâneur and the light traps
Foundation Culture and Сontemporary Plovdiv
focuses on the flank - the modern man both as a creator and user of art.
The project will bring to Kapana the winners of the UNESCO Prize for Contribution to Contemporary Art (2002), Nina Kovacheva and Valentin Stefanov, who have been working in Paris for years.
“The Flâneur and the light traps” is an interdisciplinary project in which viewers and participants will be able to see some of the latest works of the two artists, as well as the video installation for open city spaces “Phases of Accumulation and Extraction in a Limited Space”. The initiative also includes a lecture called “The cinema in the eye of the flank”, a discussion with students of visual arts with the topic “City and Visual Culture” and a literary workshop “Les effarés” – “Fear”.
Phases of Accumulation and Extraction in a Limited Space
Nina Kovacheva & Valentin Stefanov / curator Galina
The video installation "Phases of Accumulation and Extraction in a Limited Space" examines the cyclical relationship between the space, the matter, and the body.
What do passers-by see?
Four hands that manipulate the most organic material - the soil. Four hands that, with infinitely repetitive movements, fill and take away the space surrounded by the windows (the physical space that is defined by the video installation itself).
What is behind the windows, what are the windows of the building, its inhabitants, and their activities?
Do these hands live inside? Are they there just to put an emphasis on the building, or to call for an act of identification by the passers-by?
The questions remain open until we stop and contemplate the moving images, the art that goes beyond the boundaries of a museum or gallery, the art that turns to the occasional passerby, the outside world, the city.
- April 27 - May 1, 2018 - Video installation "Stages of accumulation and confiscation in a limited space" by Nina Kovacheva and Valentin Stefanov (France/Bulgaria)
- April 27, 6 pm - Opening of drawings by Nina Kovacheva and Valentin Stefanov
- April 27, 6.30 pm - Meeting with the Creative Tandem Kovacheva / Stefanov
- April 28, 6.00 pm - "The cinema in the eye of the flank" (lecture by Boris Minkov)
- April 28, 7.00 pm - Discussion "The city and the visual culture"
- April 29, 4 pm - Literary workshop "Les effarés". Participants: Aksinia Mihaylova, Ina Ivanova, Kaloyan Pramatarov, Olya Stoyanova.
The project is part of the official programme of Plovdiv - European Capital of Culture 2019, on the flagship project Kapana Creative District, Focus - French Culture, implemented in partnership with the French Institute in Bulgaria.