What is Ayliak? Discussions, Workshops, Street Parade on 27 October 2018
What is ayliak?
The discussions kick-start the first leg of the Ayliak Parade project by the ZHAR Theatre-Art-Culture Foundation in partnership with art organisations from the UK and Italy as well as Plovdiv-based cultural institutions. For details, see the end of this text.
During the discussions we will try to find out what lies hidden behind the concept of ayliak as a philosophy of life and a specific point of view of the world, what makes it so special and valued not only for us Bulgarians but also for Europe and the world today. We will be searching for the “forms” of aylyak; we will certainly be scratching our heads over how we can visualize this worldview; we'll be telling each other stories about aylyak from the near and not-so-near past; we’ll remember some of aylyak’s true masters.
- The first meeting is at 2 pm on 17 April 2018 in the IDEA Club at the Mladost 1983 Community Centre in Plovdiv's Trakia quarter, one of the project’s local partners. Feel free to come. Learn more about the event here - www.facebook.com/events/583771868653293.
- Similar discussions will take place at several other locations in Plovdiv by the end of April 2018: the next one is at the Vazrazhdane 1983 community centre (in Plovdiv's Old Town), another local partner, on 19 April, Thursday, at 5:30 pm (Learn more about the event). The third one will take place at 2 pm on 26 April (Thursday) at the Retirees Club of Plovdiv’s Central region.
- Further discussions will also take place in May 2018 and February 2019. For details about the places, as well as about the partners and the exact dates, visit www.facebook.com/ayliakparade.
- Go to Facebook to follow the training for the carnival workshops (stilts walking, group choreography, spinning of poi and flags, among other features) in May, June and July 2018. These will take place at the Mladost 1983 Community Centre and the Olga Skobeleva Center for Social Services.
- Workshops for crafting of carnival masks, costumes and accessories will take place again in May, June and July 2018 at various locations: the Community Centres Mladost 1983, P.R. Slaveykov 1908, Nâzım Hikmet 1922 and Nikola Vaptsarov 1928; the schools Viktoria and Kirkor Tyutyundzhian, Dusho Hadzhidekov, Todor Kableshkov (in the Proslav quarter), the Olga Skobeleva Centre for Social Services, the Centre for Support of Personal Development and the Municipal Children's Complex. Learn more about the workshops here - www.facebook.com/events/583771868653293.
Parade in the Trakiya Quarter on 27 October 2018
The selection of the Trakiya quarter as the first location for the series of discussions is no accident: it was in this quarter, in the Lauta Park, that a mass demo version will take place on 27th October.
More about the events - www.facebook.com/events/583771868653293.