Forum ‘E.T.A. Hoffmann in Bulgaria’ (23–25 October)
Е. Т. А. Hoffmann-Gesellschaft е. V. is a well respected German society that brings together scholars and cultural workers from universities and cultural and educational institutions around the world. To mark the bicentenary of E.T.A. Hoffmann’s death in 2022 the Society has planned a series of initiatives with the support of German and foreign institutions.
The first of them is the conference E.T.A. HOFFMANN IN BULGARIA. In 2019 we celebrate two hundred years of one of the most popular novellas Hoffmann wrote, “Little Zaches Called Cinnabar” (1819), whose most intensive European reception takes place in Bulgaria.
Organising the international interdisciplinary academic forum E.T.A. HOFFMANN IN BULGARIA, we aim at establishing and maintaining previously established links with German universities and institutions, as well as providing the context to popularise Bulgarian culture and scholarship abroad with the mediation of German educational institutions.
The programme includes:
– An academic conference E.T.A. HOFFMANN IN BULGARIA (23rd-25th October 2019) with a focus on “Little Zaches Called Cinnabar”, which brings together Bulgarian and foreign Hoffmann scholars: Union of Scientists, Old Town, Plovdiv, 6 Mitropolit Paisii Street; opening on 23rd Oct. at 2:30 pm.
– Cultural programme – the cultural programme includes Bulgarian film and stage adaptations of Hoffmann and allows the audience to meet their authors (Anri Kulev, Tedi Moskov, Ani Vaseva)
- 23rd Oct. 7-9 pm, Educational theatre hall at the Paisii Hilendarski University of Plovdiv, Rectorate: a stage performance of “Hoffmann”, a play produced by Metheor, dir. Ani Vaseva.
- 24th Oct. 6 pm, Boris Hristov House of Culture: “Fantasies”, a play by Tedi Moskov inspired by Hoffmann’s novella “Little Zaches Called Cinnabar”, (VHS-quality); guest: Tedi Moskov.
- 25th Oct., 6 pm, Boris Hristov House of Culture: “Zaches”, a film by Anri Kulev; guest: Anri Kulev.
E.T.A. HOFFMANN IN BULGARIA exhibition – the exhibition presents the Bulgarian editions of Hoffmann’s works that belong to the Ivan Vazov National Library resources;
E.T.A. HOFFMANN – BAMBERG DOCUMENTS (FACSIMILES), lent by the Bamberg State Library, Bamberg, Germany: 23rd-31st Oct., Ivan Vazov National Library; official opening of both exhibitions on 24th Oct., 4 pm.
Detailed programme in Bulgarian (p. 1-32) and German (p. 33-) HERE.
The project is initiated and organised by the Department of Literary History and Comparative Literature at the Paisii Hilendarski University of Plovdiv. Co-organisers: the Union of Scientists (Plovdiv); Ivan Vazov National Library; Е.Т.А. Hoffmann-Gesellschaft, Bamberg, Germany. Partners: Е.Т.A.-Hoffmann-Portal and Е.Т.A.-Hoffmann-Archiv at Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin; Staatsbibliothek Bamberg; the Theatre Studies Department at the National Academy of Theatre and Film; the Az-buki Publication House. The project is carried out with the assistance of the Municipality of Plovdiv, Goethe-Institut Bulgaria, and the Research Fund at the Ministry of Education (contract number: КП-06-МНФ/29). The project is associated with the programme of Plovdiv 2019.