Official Presentation of "Museum Expositions and Standards: A Look Ahead"
We invite you in the building of Regional History Museum at 1, Saedinenie Square, at 12.00 am at the presentation of the book "Museum Expositions and Standards: A Look Ahead". It will take place during a training seminar on the project "Museums as Social and Educational Spaces" - part of the "Plovdiv - European Capital of Culture 2019" program and organized by the “Fulbright” Bulgarian-American Educational Exchange Commission, “My Museum” Foundation and Regional History Museum.
The training is the first one within the partnership project with “Plovdiv 2019” Foundation and is aimed at the practical work of the museums with different audiences. Experts and communication specialists from museums all over the country will participate. It will be hosted by the Regional Archaeological Museum - Plovdiv. Leading lecturers will be Todor Petev (Sofia University “Kliment Ohridski”, "My Museum" Foundation) and Adriana Lyubenova (Plovdiv University "Paisii Hilendarski", "My Museum" Foundation). Within the
More about the book:
The book "Museum Expositions and Standards" is a valuable manual for museum specialists, issued with the financial support of the “Culture” Program of Sofia Municipality.
The publication presents a selection of reports from the international conference, organized in Sofia in 2016 by the Bilateral Bulgarian-American Commission for the Bulgarian Cultural Heritage Preservation, sponsored by the US Embassy in Bulgaria.
Among the authors are leading Bulgarian, American and Canadian museum specialists and researchers who share their experience in preserving, documenting and presenting of cultural heritage and working with audiences. The reports also present ideas and guidelines for the development of the potential of museums in Bulgaria.
The materials in the collection are presented in the following sections:
- Good practices in conducting events and educational programs dedicated to cultural heritage;
- The Future of Digital Expositions and Mobile Applications;
- Modern Trends in Museum Expositions.
The collection also presents a significant selection of founding documents of the Union of American Museums and of leading museums in the United States. These texts set professional standards in areas such as collections, expositions, work with audiences, as well as guidelines for educational content and programs related to cultural and historical heritage. We are convinced that for a long time the Collection “Museum Expositions and Standards” will be a desktop book for the Bulgarian museum specialists.
Questions which are included in the collection:
- What is the future role of museums, archives and libraries in a digital world with an insatiable appetite for information and knowledge?
- What does the Memorandum of Cooperation between the United States and the Republic of Bulgaria on Limiting the Theft and Illicit Trafficking of Antiques and Other Cultural Values include and will facilitate their return to Bulgaria?
- "Look, Be Surprised, Connect and Think" - on what pedagogical principles does the National Gallery in Washington teach curiosity among its visitors?
- What standards does the “Smithsonian” Institute use when creating expositions?
- Why Metropolitan, one of the world's largest art museums, has decided to provide more than 375,000 high-resolution, free for access and royalty-free photos online without any restrictions?
- What standards for the acquisition of archaeological materials and ancient art sets the American Union of Museums and what are the policies of the “Getty” Museum for certifying the origin of the works?
The book was sent free of charge to all Bulgarian museums as well as to the leading regional, city and academic libraries in the country. The edition is also available in our office for anyone interested in it.