The Latin term "EX CORPORЕ" literally means "from/out of the body." The French philosopher Jean-Luc Nancy used it to mark a body-derived speech, emphasizing the connection between speech and corporeality.
EX CORPORЕ is a project, that includes an extensive research process and series of events. It is focused on the development of stage techniques based on the re-invention of the image-technique-body-speech-meaning relationship. It draws inspiration from and experiments with the physical techniques and their potential to produce visual and sound images, and it develops new digital technologies as an active stage partner and a participant in the in stage practice.
EX CORPORЕ will be presented in Plovdiv in March and April with a series of events: a performance, a performative lecture by Ani Vaseva and Boyan Manchev, an acting workshop by Leonid Yovchev, as well as a demonstration of techniques of the creation process of digital devices for stage use by Stefan Donchev. Beforehand, starting at the end of November 2020, will be presented several online events, part of the project. Detailed information is available also on Metheor’s website. The first series of online events culminates with the premiere on 30th of November 2020 with A Day That Has Everything In It - the first public online event from the project as a joint initiative of the team within the wider partnership of Culture Program of Sofia Municipality and the Ministry of Culture, and with the assistance of Swimming Pool, ETUD Gallery, HaHaHa Impro, ArtFest, Cinema House and DNK and part of the Legacy Programme of Plovdiv - European Capital of Culture 2019.
In the four days before November 30 2020, four videos prepared especially for the project will be uploaded on the YouTube page of Meteor:
- Boyan Manchev will ask the question of Why art? and Why now? With a series of questions to contemporary artists (November 26)
- Future actors will learn what is important in the acting profession for Leonid Yovchev (November 27)
- Stefan Donchev will present the methods of creating digital cameras (November 28)
- Ani Vaseva will make an introduction to video theatre (November 29).
Ex corpore builds on the Hijikata and his double project, continuing the research into new technologies, digital arts, experimental forms of dance and theatre, and presenting them to the public.
As part of the project, a series of events will be held - digital in March and with real meetings in April in Plovdiv. All events are with free entrance and preliminary obligatory registration at email@example.com. Here are all the events:
- 14 and 15th March (Sunday from 14:00 to 19:00 and Monday from 18:00 to 21:00) - Digital Acting workshop with Leonid Yovchev. Applications for participation in the workshop are accepted until March 6 at firstname.lastname@example.org, the results are announced on March 8. Applications for participation are accepted only in case of confirmed attendance on both working days.
- 16th March (Tuesday) - 18:00 - Digital Presentation of Stefan Donchev: "Digital cameras for stage use."
- 21st April (Wednesday) - 18:00 - Lecture by Boyan Manchev: "Art and its shadow: The dance of darkness and the revolution of the body" and 19:30 - Presentation of the new book by Boyan Manchev "Freedom In Spite of Everything", as well as a series of his books, published in the last year in Bulgarian, Japanese, French and English.
- 22nd April (Thursday) - 19:00 - Ex corpore performance.
- 23rd April (Friday) - 19:00 - Performance "Hijikata, The Samurai from the North".
All events take place in the Hall of First Studio of BNR Plovdiv and are with free access but an obligatory preliminary reservation at email@example.com
Ex corpore project, is implemented also with the financial support of the Culture Program of Sofia Municipality and the Ministry of Culture, and with the assistance of Swimming Pool, ETUD Gallery, HaHaHa Impro, ArtFest, Cinema House and DNK is part of the Legacy Programme of Plovdiv 2019 and is implemented by Metheor Association.
Metheor is an art collective, working with stage, visual, textual artistic and critical forms, developing their radical poetics. The central figures of Metheor during its ten-year history are the playwright and director Ani Vaseva, the philosopher Boyan Manchev and the actor Leonid Yovchev. Metheor's projects include 15 written and staged theatre plays and performances, which toured internationally, realised in Sofia, Vienna, Plovdiv, Berlin, Porto, Leipzig etc. They are defined by the group and the interpreters of their work as "theatre of disorganization", "inhuman theatre" and "theatre oratorio" and are based on a strong idea of theater. Each performance of Metheor seeks to invent a unique form based on experimental work with text and productive critique of theatrical techniques.