Open Call for LAST MINUTE project proposals
The OPEN CALL is NOT active anymore.
The Plovdiv 2019 Foundation announces an open call for last-minute projects in the official programme of Plovdiv - European Capital of Culture 2019 initiative. The procedure is aimed at allowing new concept ideas and current topical trends to fit into the four thematic platforms of the artistic programme and the project clusters that make them up.
The main goals of the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation are: The creation of a diverse cultural programme; The long-term improvement of the cultural climate in Plovdiv; The achievement of positive change among its residents; The development of communication between them; The broadening of the cultural perimeter of Plovdiv and Bulgaria by opening to the European and international scene. In fulfilling these goals, the Foundation adheres to the main concepts of the preliminary programme, directing partners to each of the clusters included in it and allowing for both national and European dimension of the cultural activities.
This open call is announced in the last months before the final drafting of the official programme for 2019. It is an invitation to cultural organisations, independent curators and artists from Bulgaria and abroad to apply by presenting modern and attractive ideas. The call is aimed at allowing the inclusion of new projects contributing to the genre diversity of the programme
The project proposals cover ten categories:
- Visual arts
- Art in public spaces
- Digital arts
- Design and architecture
- Education and capacity development
The call targets event proposals, long- and short-term initiatives in these categories and in the full range of events, among them exhibitions, concerts, performances, installations, interactive events, artistic interference and workshops
The project proposals must conform to:
- The themes and concepts of the Plovdiv - European Capital of Culture programme /details can be found here/.
- The culture, ideas and attitudes of the communities and groups involved as participants and audiences.
- The requirement to develop and aim for long-term partnership and project sustainability.
- The relevant Bulgarian legislation.
General terms, schedule of the competition and financial parameters:
Totalbudget of the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation for this open call: BGN 700,000 /The Jury distributed for the first deadline of the open call BGN 225,000, available for the next deadline are BGN 475,000. Ondthesecond deadline the Jury allocated 317 000 BGN and for the third deadline, for whihcmore than 60 projects were received the amount left is 158 000 BGN./
- Application period: The open call is active until the final distribution of the appointed budget but not later than four months after its announcement. The candidates are able to submit their proposals by the 15th of each month, the last possible date is 15 October 2018. /Dear partners, we would like to inform you, that the deadline for the third date of the "Open call / Last minutes" is extended till 17th September
,5 PM! Good luck everyone!/
Under the terms of the Open Call and on the basis of the submitted project proposals on the third competition date, September 17, 2018, we would like to inform you that the planned budget is expected to be finalised and October 15 as
- Selection period: the selection committee will meet between the 20th and the 30th of each month and will announce the results by the 15th of the following month.
- Project implementation period: October 2018 - December 2019, the project implementation should start not earlier than 3 months after the submitting of the proposal.
- The Plovdiv 2019 Foundation sets
maximumproject subsidy: BGN 80,000.
IT IS REQUIRED that each candidate under the open call contribute at least 30% of the value of the project (VAT included). Self-financing could come in the form of either a financial contribution in the form of a cash amount provided for the purposes of the
The in-kind contribution is subject to the following conditions:
1. It may include land, real estate, equipment and/or materials, research or professional activities or free voluntary work, and so on, provided for
2. If provided by a third party /for example, a government institution, business and the like/ that is not a project partner, the contribution must be presented as a nonfinancial contribution provided by the partners who will use it to implement the project activities -- for example airline tickets, overnight stays, advertising space and packages, food, consumables or printed materials.
3. In case land and real estate are provided, their value will be certified by an independent appraiser or the relevant officially authorised institution.
- The Plovdiv 2019 Foundation WILL NOT provide financial support to projects that have already received subsidies through the Cultural Calendar of the city of Plovdiv.
- The projects that are already part of the programme of Plovdiv -- European Capital of Culture and have contractual relations with the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation, as well as projects that have applied in previous open calls by the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation and have not been selected by the jury are not eligible to apply under this open call.
- The open call covers expenditure on production, fees, stage and equipment rental, travel and so on.
- The open call does NOT cover expenditure on the acquisition of long-term tangible and intangible assets; repairs and administrative expenses /such as rental of office premises, consumables, office maintenance, administrative manager and accountant for a project, and so on/.
- The Plovdiv 2019 Foundation reserves the right to reduce the amount of the requested financial support. In
casein which the committee selects a project but makes a reduction in the budget, the applicant will need to confirm in writing that it accepts the terms of the funding, and provide an updated budget within two weeks after the selection has been publicly announced.
- Under this open call, financial support from the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation will be granted as follows: 70% of the sum will be paid in advance, 30% of the sum will be paid after the project has been implemented and accounted for.
- The detailed conditions and obligations of the partnership with the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation are regulated under a contract signed by and between the winning applicant and the Foundation in compliance with the Bulgarian legislation and in accordance with the jury’s ranking. The project implementation contracts will be concluded after the two-week confirmation period has expired and after a technical committee of the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation has approved the expenditure in the updated budgets.
- An organisation or a person is allowed to submit more than one project proposal. More than one partnership is allowed for each project, but the open call prohibits the duplication of activities when financing is concerned
Who can apply:
- Bulgarian and/or foreign legal entities. Bulgarian legal entities must be registered under the Non-Profit Legal Entities Act or the Commercial Act. Foreign legal entities should submit a document certifying their registration and current legal status as per the legislation of the countries in which they are established.
- Bulgarian and/or foreign adult natural persons, craftsmen or self-employed persons registered in the BULSTAT Register (or analogous register in their home country).
Cooperatives under the Cooperatives Act.
- Citizens’ associations registered under the Obligations and Contracts Act.
- State cultural institutions and other legal entities created by an act of a state-sponsored body /universities, schools, and so on/.
Noneligible Applicants: Legal entities and natural persons may not apply if they:
- Are undergoing an insolvency procedure.
- Are in liquidation.
- Have outstanding debts to the state or the Plovdiv Municipality and these debts have been ascertained in a decision by a competent authority, or have obligations to social security authorities unless a competent authority has allowed payment according to an
installmentscheme or a delay in paying these obligations.
- Have been convicted for property or economic crimes, unless they have been exonerated.
- Are in employment with the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation or are members of any of its managing bodies.
Meeting the above requirements can be proved by submitting a declaration that is a constituent part of the application set
- A filled-out application form (template-based) * in Bulgarian (foreign applicants should also submit application documents in English);
- A filled-out budgeting table (template-based) * in Bulgarian (foreign applicants should also submit application documents in English);
- A certificate of
currentlegal status of the applicant organisation or stamped registration copy from the state register (for juridical persons) or a copy of the personal ID (for individuals). Additionally, a copy must be presented of a document certifying the BULSTAT registration (or an analogous registry in the home country); *
- A declaration by the applicant (template-based); *
- A declaration certifying the veracity of the presented information, authorship and agreement (template-based); *
- Letters declaring partnerships, if such exist, with other organisations, stage and equipment use;
- Graphic and video materials, if such exist, that present the project and the applicant -- for example, visuals, sketches, photos etc.
The *-marked documents are obligatorily required. Incomplete application sets will not be considered. The application form and the budgeting table must be submitted in Bulgarian, or in English in the case of foreign applicants. (The forms are available in both languages on our site, please choose English version to download them in English. Machine-translated copies are acceptable.)
The full text of the open call and all the application documents required can be downloaded HERE. The full text and all the documents in the Bulgarian Language can be downloaded from here.
The Facebook event you can find here. If you need any additional information, you can contact us
- Application sets, comprising of all the required files plus scanned copies of the documents that require applicant signatures, must be submitted as documents and table files as per set templates respectively, via email at email@example.com by 5 PM on the 15th of the respective month, but not later than 15 October 2018.
- The email’s Subject line must read
: .The email body must contain the name of the applicant organisation, the name of the project and the period of implementation. The entire application set file must not exceed 10MB. For larger files, applications are to be sent via a file-sharing platform. Allowed file formats are .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf and .odt. Additional audio-visual materials may be sent as .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .mov, .avi, .mp3, .mp4, or .wav files. If an applicant has multiple project applications, each must be submitted separately .
Necessary documents at the level of the contract:
• An up-to-date record from the registration agency or a current status certificate.
• A certificate from the National Revenue Agency and Plovdiv Municipality that the applicant has no obligations – original.
• Certificate of conviction of the person representing the applicant – original.
• Application form from the application stage – original.
• A budget form from the application stage - the original.
• Declarations according to a template from the candidate stage – original.
• Statement of VAT status.
- Svetlana Kuyumdzhieva, PhD – Artistic Director, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation
- Viktor Yankov – Deputy Director International Activity, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation
- Gina Kafedzhiyan – Deputy Director Programme, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation
- Vanya Grozdanova – Project and Event Manager, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation
- Viktoriya Todorova – Marketing and Advertising expert, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation